Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Week 4: Adjusting to Ghana and Life as a Missionary

Note from Dad: We heard from Max on Monday when we had an opportunity to communicate with him while he was on a computer at the same time as us. He had a rough few days adjusting to Ghana and the mission, but said he was "pulling out of it." It isn't easy to leave family, friends and country behind, a lesson he is learning first hand. We are very anxious to hear from him this coming Monday and have been praying for him to have a better week as he settles into these dramatic changes in his life.

--------

Dear Family,

Man, what a crazy week! First off, that was the longest flight I've ever been on. 27 hours of straight traveling... 27 hours!!! I timed it on my watch, ha ha. On our flight, we flew over Iceland and Greenland area and we saw the Northern Lights out of the window. It was cool and I just watched them for hours ha ha (I couldn't do anythng else ha ha ha no movies...)

Ghana is nuts. It's way hot and humid so you sweat all the time, but I don't really care, ha. NO one speaks English here. And if they do, it's their second language so its not very good English. Trying my best to learn the language Twi. That's what most people speak here.

My apartment is so bad. It would not pass health code regualtions anywhere in the world but here, ha ha. Ghana is straight up survival.

Washed my clothes in a bucket today... man, I miss washing machines...

The stuff we eat and the way we eat it.... I'm shocked I haven't gotten sick yet... You eat everything with your hands and you just swallow it whole... no chewing... it's actually not bad though. tbh.

I love the people here! They are so humble and they literally just walk up to you and ask you about the Church. One of the few places in the world that that happens I think. We've committed a few people to baptism already...

Man, the mission field is not what I expected. But I'm getting the hang of it I think.

Love you all and am so thankful for your support!

Mada wase papaa