Saturday, January 21, 2017

Week 15: Trials and Transfers

Man, this week was rough!!!!

I was sitting in our shack, washing some incredibly dirty white shirts in a bucket, listening to some solid motab (Mormon Tabernacle Choir music) and my companion came running in, knelt in front of the toilet and started barfing like crazy. I just looked around and was like, mission in Africa. Nowhere else I'd rather be (hint of sarcasam, but mostly true hahahaha).

So he got way sick and didn't even get out of bed or wake up all of the next day, so I studied my scriptures till my eyes couldn't focus and then found other things to do to pass the time. Fam, can you send me like a book of small games or something? Like a crossword puzzle book or mazes or something? I need someting to do on days like that, haha.

So then the next day, I got super sick too but something different than my companion. I woke up freezing (probably the only time that will  happen my whole mission!) and then started sweating and by then I wanted to die, hahaha. It was so rough, man. You just have to lay there and suffer. Like when you are sick at home it's nice cuz you can like watch movies and your mom makes you soup and stuff but here, man.... it is just pure suffering. President Hinkley talked about missionary work and said, "I can't promise you a peaceful easy two years...but I can promise hard times... and even sometimes downright misery. But I also can promise pure joy like you've never felt." Hahaha, I felt that misery this week, so I'm looking forward to the pure joy part haha.

So we saw a rat in our apartment. A live one this time... so we chased it down and beat it to death with a fufu pounding stick... yeesh, now we can add rats to our number of problems, hahaha! It was so nasty!

Had all our new members come to church this week! They all made it. I was really happy to see them all there! After her confirmation, she got up and started running down the isle in celebration, haha! She was so happy to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church! I felt the spirit very strongly and it was really nice to see the fruit of our labors here in Nsawam.

So big news is that my companion is being transferred to the bush of our mission! And I'm getting a new companion named Elder Bawdin! He is from Utah and I hear that he is a really cool guy and a great missionary! So I'm so glad haha! It's really rare for someone to have this many American companions! I'm excited! Things are good here in Ghana!

So I was biking today and all of the sudden, my bike seat busted off and I had to bike the rest of the day without a seat... It was a serious adjustment. I shall compare it to leaving on mission. You feel so excited and ready to hit the field and then your bike seat falls off. The bike seat falling off can be compared to any number of struggles you face on mission. They just hurt hahaha but it forces you to work harder and you therefore get stronger.

Love you all and may God bless you!