Monday, January 30, 2017

Week 17: The Fever is Real


Yeah... [African] fever is real.

So to begin my email. I will tell about my extreme sickness this past week. So I went to bed feeling normal. I woke up at midnight and I wanted to die. I was freeeeeeeezing first of all.... like I was shaking because of how cold I was but it was still like 80 degrees so... and I felt like I got hit by a bus. My whole body just hurt like nothing I've ever felt. Man, so much pain. So then I got up and was shaking so bad that I couldn't even walk straight... yeah it was rough. So then I somehow went back to sleep and woke up again and was boiling lava hot, like a hot pocket that has been in the microwave too long... So I got up and drank a cold water bag and got so light headed that I couldn't hear anything so I went back to my bed and fell down on it before I could even lay down... yeah... wasn't able to go out proselyting that day... but now I'm better!

So this what life in Ghana is like:

Walk down the street. It's hot, I'm already sweating. It’s dirt roads. Everyone is black. I’m white. They all stare at you, young and old, and call out “Obruni, obruni!!!” (white english man). Like you could find any white person here easy, just follow the “obruni” sirens, haha. 

Sometimes, someone will come up to us and ask us to teach them so we will, but most of them are not serious at all. Or we will go talk to someone and they'll say “men ti brofu” I don't speak English...) Tracting is pretty hard here... 

I’ll buy a pure water bag from some shop "me to pure water baako..... yo me dase wai!" Bite off the corner and then think man, this is probably full of parasites...then I drink it, hahaha. So then we will sit and teach one of our investigators then walk to the next appointment. Maybe I'll buy a fan ice (ice cream thing) from a yogurt guy. These guys walk around all day with carts and horns selling cold ice cream things from their cart hahaha. It's awesome and cheap and refreshing. They also sell super sketchy bread cake stuff that I'll eat if I'm hungry. Yep. Then we walk more. My comp has a FitBit and we average about 10 miles a day of walking haha. It's a lot but I look at it as exercise and then I'm like, okay, cool. Haha.

Also, the pic of me and the kid in the tree is of me and K. He said when we were looking at the picture that this (pointing at me) is America and this (pointing at him) is Ghana haha hahahahahaha. It was hilarious.

Elder Janda