Monday, October 2, 2017

Week 52: Half Way and 13 Things I've Learned So Far

Wow, one year in. One year to go. It’s a weird thing.

13 Things I’ve Learned on Mission: (Not necessarily in order of importance, except 1 and 2.)
  1. God is there. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. The first and foremost important thing is to know this and I therefore list it first.
  2. I learned from the spirit that Joseph Smith is a true prophet and that he saw God and Jesus Christ. 
  3. I have learned that to be valiant is what really counts. Valiant in you heart. Not just doing what you should do. 
  4. I'm proud to be an American. I’ll leave it at that.
  5. Feeling the spirit is the best thing in the world. I just want to bask in those moments when I feel it.
  6. Jesus Christ is amazing. His character boggles me every time. Oh, I love the Lord.
  7. I’ve learned how to swallow food without chewing. 
  8. I’ve learned to speak a different language (mostly).
  9. I’ve learned it’s better to listen to the Holy Ghost than not to.
  10. Family is everything to me. 
  11. I've learned to be patient with others.
  12. I’ve learned what the Savior meant when he said, "Cast not your pearls before swine."
  13. I’ve learned the purpose of suffering: Change.
We had a nice week this week. Conference was awesome as usual. Everyone in the chapel sat up when President Nelson talked about Ghana. Haha. That was pretty funny. I don’t know why people do that but yes, some people pretend not to speak English to us. It’s funny when you catch them understanding you. Haha. Funny.

We taught a French guy from Togo. I said a sentence or two in french as we were teaching. Haha. But mostly just used a translator from the ward to teach him. It was so cool. Man, he is very prepared. The first question he asked was, "How can I teach my family about God’s love?" My ears did a double take because that was the best question I’ve ever heard an investigator ask. Haha. So I thought about it and said that if he shared this message (the restoration) with them, they would come to feel of God's love. It was a super great way to begin a lesson. Then we taught him and at the end of the lesson he told us that he had left his church because he didn’t feel like those prophets were from God and that he didn’t think any other church’s prophets were either. Pretty cool to see how the Lord prepared him. 

A guy in the ward came and said he had a referral for us (best words a missionary can hear). So we went and taught her with him. Well in code they tell us that they are getting married!!! Haha. So funny. They were all codey about it. Man, I've never seen Ghanians like that. They usually are not super romantic and stuff but man, these two. Chi. It was sweet. 

And thus it is.