Monday, December 19, 2016

Week 11: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... I literally am... if it snowed here i'd know that it'd be the Second Coming though hahaha

So we had a really busy week out here in Nsawam. First things first. I freaking love fufu... like my first time eating it i couldn't even eat half the ball, but now i'm a true Ghanaian and I could eat it endlessly man! No soup is too spicy, no glob of fufu to big that I can't swallow. It's so good man, i love it so much. I'm going to learn how to prepare it so that I can make it for my family when i get home and see how they enjoy what i believe is mana straight from heaven. We were watching The Testaments movie the other day and there is a part in it when a guy in the background looks like he is pounding fufu hahaha. We were laughing a lot when we saw it haahah

So for our teaching:
We taught so many lessons this week I can’t even number them all for you. But here are some of the best ones.

So we taught this family of Delili (a woman who owns a chop bar in Medie). We taught her the Restoration and the Spirit was directing me to say things that we don't usually say when we teach the lesson and I remember just looking into each other's eyes as I testified of Joseph's first vision and I was so glad that I was there teaching them. I was filled with the Spirit bearing witness to me of the love God had for these people.

So then we taught Kwarteng again for the first time in a while. He had been out of town and then all sorts of other things that prevented us from meeting him. So we read from the Book of Mormon with him and talked about coming to church. Kwarteng took a chance to bear his testimony to us as we were talking about faith. Oh my gosh. Immediately as he started talking, the spirit rushed into the room. I felt it palpably in the air as he quoted scripture about faith and Christ's love. It was so powerful. I was sitting there thinking to myself that I was so glad to be there with him and I didn't want to leave that seat all day just so that I could bask in the spirit that was there. Kwarteng is a man that has been prepared his whole life for the gospel. He is deeply religious and has a deep conversion to Christ that has only been deepened as we have met with him and as he has prayed. I loved that lesson.

So one of our members brought this guy, Ruddy, to church last week so we took his info and met him twice throughout the week. We taught him the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. Man, the guy is smart. He thinks very quickly and understands very well the things that we teach him. He is serious about the things we challenge him to do and told us that he had a dream after praying one night that a man told him that the feelings he had been feeling about our lessons were good and that he should trust those feelings. He told us that when we teach him he feels good and so he said that he would take that dream as an answer to his prayers. The guy is so cool and we are looking forward to seeing him progress.

So the senior couple in our area went home this last week cuz of health issues so they brought us all of their food from their apartment. Oh man... we have so much stuff from them. I don't have to buy food again for another like 3 weeks. I had tuna fish sandwiches with mayo and cheese just like my mom makes at home... it was so delicious I almost cried... man I've never been so grateful for cheese before... oh man it was delicious.

So anyways:

We also met our recent convert Shine who has changed so much since baptism. Before her baptism, she was kinda mellow and not very quick and not lively, but man, when we met here the other day she was laughing and high energy and all sorts of stuff. Just a complete turnaround. It’s truly amazing how the restored gospel can change you. How Christ can change your nature so much just like the lion's nature can be changed so much that it can lie with the lamb.

So yesterday we went out to meet Isaac, another guy we are teaching, and he wasn't able to meet us but one of his co-workers was and he had a lot of questions for us. Luckily, my comp is stellar at his Bible and was able to answer all of the man’s questions with Bible references and Book of Mormon references. (I also contributed too. I'm not just dead weight) but seriously, my companion knows the Bible inside and out. It’s pretty cool hahaha So we taught him and asked if we had answered his questions and he said half (the man likes to be contentious but we didn't let him) and he said that it would take him praying to God about all of it to have them fully answered and confirmed so I said yeah, that's exactly what we want you to do. For me, I wouldn't be on mission if I didn't know these things from God alone. The promises that our prayers will be answered are promises to you Mr. Aumfia, you can receive answers if you'll pray sincerely. So the lesson went well.

So also, remember that guy that we taught, Lydia's husband who was frustrated at us before? Well, if you don't or if i just dreamed that I mailed you about it, it happened. He got angry at us and then a couple days later we taught him Lesson 1. It was insane hahah and then even crazier, he showed up at church yesterday alone!!!!!!! Woah, I was just completely shocked to see him, especially without his family who they are the ones who are planning to be baptized! It was so shocking, I think that his heart is being softened and if he ever gets baptized, it'll be the craziest turnaround story. Like Alma the younger status man hahah so cool.

So that's all folks.

PS: I got up a little more than half way up a coconut tree and got scared and went down. I promised my family that I won't climb it again so i don't accidentally fall and get hurt, but just had to say, I'm pure Ghanaian now. I eat fufu like a maniac and can climb coconut trees like an ape. Yo.

Also, all of my clothes are too big and loose now so i'm going to have them taken in hahaha, when your dress slacks look like parachute pants you know it's time... :) Africa right?

Merry Christmas :)