Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Week 9: Obrunis Catching Turtles and Testifying in Twi

Yesterday was my two month mark, wow, time is flying for this hahaha.

So when you introduce yourself in twi you have two names you say, "me dindi Elder Janda na ye fre me Kwami." Kwami is your second name, for me it means that I was born on Saturday. haha its pretty cool I guess :) So went to go teach a less active woman and we get there and she only speaks Twi. It was so cool, I get there and I’m like "lets do" this and so I totally spoke in Twi!!!! I talked about my family back home and how long I've been in Ghana and what my favorite food is (fufu and ground nut soup) and then I bore my testimony in Twi! it was so sweet! Twi is coming along pretty well, I must say!

So we were walking down this dirt road and we saw this thing move in a puddle, so we stopped to see what it was and we saw that it was a turtle! so we grabbed sticks and stuff and were trying to catch this turtle in a big puddle. A bunch of people came over were watching theses two obrunis (white men) looking for something, we told them we were looking for a snake hahaha (Ghaniains are terrified of snakes) and they all freaked out hahahah it was funny, sadly we never caught the turtle cuz it disappeared in this big puddle, but maybe someday we can find it again hahaha.

So we had a service project this past week. Elder Stilson and I were in charge of weeding. They gave us cutlasses (big machetes) to hack them out. It was so fun hahaha! We were just going to town on these big tall weeds with these machetes haha so fun!

So spiritual:

We met this man named Israel a couple of weeks ago and he was less active for such a long time but has come back to the church. We are now teaching his wife which is awesome and I think that she'll be baptized! They are both very soft hearted and just good people. So fun. Israel shared an experience with me which I loved. He said that he was trying to decide to either pay money to travel to church or keep a hold of the money. He decided to come to church because he said that he trusted in God to provide for him if he went to church. He said that the next day he got a call for him to go and do work for someone! He said he was so happy and knew that god would provide. He always says, I’m so happy now that I've come back to church. Israel is so tender hearted and he knows the blessings and joy that being an active member of the church brings.

So we were teaching this girl named Victoria and I felt prompted to start talking so I did. I don’t remember all that I said but I talked about how christ had open arms for her and told her not to turn away from his open arms. I was in shock because the words were flowing beautifully from my mouth. I knew that those words weren’t my own for two reasons: They were beautifully eloquent and also because I learned so much from what I said which means that the Holy Ghost was speaking through me. It was such a powerful experience. All throughout the scriptures missionaries are promised that their mouths will be filled and they will be given in the very moment what they shall say. This experience was a testimony of that promise.

So this week was pretty chill and good and we taught some good lessons. We are working with several people who are planing to be baptized on Christmas! Christmas day should be awesome we'll have some baptisms hopefully and I'll get to talk to my family woot woot!!!

Here is another rap, "And so the mission experiment begins with my friends all scattered to the winds, Eric's out in Spain Malaga redefining bravery, they can never be free till we teach like crazy!"

(Not too bad, but I like my other one better haha.)

Until next week.