Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 36: Q&A with Mom

Week was rough to be honest. The work is really struggling here in Winneba. Like no matter what we try, finding people to teach doesn’t seem to want to get rolling. Grrrrrrr.... it's discouraging, I’ll be honest.

[MOM] MOST IMP: What has the Lord spoken to your heart lately? Impressions...When have you seen His hand in your day? How has He helped others?

[ELDER JANDA] The First Counselor in the Bishopric had a referrals for us, so we go to meet the First Counselor for him to take us to the guy’s house but we ended up walking into his house at the same time the referral guy did. Haha it was cool. Perfect timing. That was nice.

Met with this less active woman and I really feel like the Spirit takes over in those lessons with her. She is really smart to so its fun to be with her cuz she understands how to think deeply. It’s nice.

[MOM] CHURCH: How was church yesterday?

[ELDER JANDA] Yeah church was fine. None of the people we are teaching came... all busy with various things. Luckily they were speaking English in gospel doctrine class, usually they speak Fanti, which I cant understand very well. But it’s ok.

[MOM] CHURCH: What do you do there normally? Do you have meetings with the bishop/ward council?

[ELDER JANDA] Well since we don't have investigators very much here we just go to church and just like...normal... They always speak Fanti so it's a challenge.

[MOM] CHURCH: Who do you sit with? Do you help with the sacrament or anything else? How many young deacons are there?

I sit with my comp, or the people we are teaching if they come. No they have 3-4 Priests. Deacons there are maybe 6-ish.

[MOM] CHURCH: Do you ever sit and play the piano? Do they even have a piano? Are there any members you have been able to connect with and be strengthened by?

[ELDER JANDA] Ha. They have a Yamaha keyboard. It's really funny actually. The usual guy who can play (the only one who can play) always puts like this starry twinkly effect so all the hymns are awesome. Hahaha. It’s fun and he just sits there and plays with this little smile on his face. Haha. So funny. Sometimes I teach Gideon (my best friend in the ward) the piano at nights. See, I "can" play the piano. But I can’t read music fast enough to play all the parts. Also if you mess up at all, Ghanaians don't like it (especially if you are Obruni). So I don't want to play in Sacrament Meeting. Plus, the only thing I can really play is Love Walks In by Van Halen. Haha. But I can rock out with that one. Hahaha.

[MOM] INVESTIGATORS: How did finding go this week? Were you able to find anyone to teach? Explain who they are and what their circumstances are…

[ELDER JANDA] This place is pretty empty of people. Really feels like a ghost town. But we found 4 new people. One is a Rastafarian dude. Yeah we'll see if he will make some drastic changes in his life. One is a girl who is so solid but here parents won’t let here come to church. Two are some unserious women we contacted who said they would come to church, but didn't. Yeah... not great prospects yet.

[MOM] WOW: What was the most interesting thing that happened this week?

[ELDER JANDA] Woke up in the middle of the night (haven't been sleeping too well the past few weeks... past like 8 weeks). Saw that the moon was like blood read. Haha. It was cool.

[MOM] COMP: How was working with your companion this week? What did you learn about him? What do you love about him?

[ELDER JANDA] Ha. He is a good guy. He is really trying hard. He is trying to learn the scriptures really well. It is funny. I’ll say off hand sometime that a certain chapter is really good or something and then I’ll notice that later, he will be reading it. Haha. It’s cool. He is really trying.

[MOM] HEALTH: How are you feeling? I saw that you have a bottle of TUMS on your desk. How goes the gut health?

[ELDER JANDA] Yeah man, well to be honest I love the taste of Tums. They are like candy. But yeah I’m fine. I haven't had diarrhea in a long time or barfed in a while. So that’s good. Yeah, I feel fine. Just like feel like survival sometimes.

[MOM] COOKING:  What have you learned to cook? Are you still using a camping stove basically?

[ELDER JANDA] Ha. It was raining the other day so we couldn't go out so I went outside and picked a bunch of snails from around our house. Got like 10 of them and made Elder Clauson my helper. I smashed all of them. Pulled out the guts and stuff. Cleaned them up. Boiled them. Made a batter out of lime juice, pepe, and flour. Rubbed the boiled sails in the batter then fried them in oil. Bon appetite. Man alive, they were freaking awesome!!!!!! Took like an hour or so total, but man, it was worth it. Yeah, so call me a freaking boss cook cuz I prepared a legit escargot dish, by myself (with Clauson as my help), first time, nailed it. Oh yeah.

Yeah, so thats it! Peace.