Monday, August 21, 2017

Week 46: First Week in Kwabenya


So to start off, we had a crazy week. We found 14 new people to teach and had 2 come to church.

The following are questions from my mom that I will answer. 

1) How did the traveling go from one area to the new area? What was that like? Sights, sounds, etc.

I had zero desire to ride tro tros from Winneba to Kwabenya so I just paid a taxi to take me all the way there. It started in Winneba and we drove to Kasoa to pick up my new companion Elder Pinnock form Nigeria. As we were driving to Kasoa, I thought to myself, ‘I should probably share the gospel with this taxi driver.' Whether it was a prompting or not, every missionary knows that when a thought like that comes into your head, you feel super guilty if you don't act on it. So I did. I basically taught the guy the whole restoration and invited him to pray. But it was like a discussion haha. Really weird, wasn't like I was teaching him but it was more like I was having a conversation with him haha. It was interesting but cool cuz when I talked about the apostasy I just pointed to all the churches we were passing haha. Pretty funny, there is no shortage of evidence of the apostasy here haha.

2) Details on how and where you met your new companion?

Yeah, basically just picked him in Kasoa and the taxi guy drove us from there to Kwabenya.

3) Details about your new companion? His family, has he always been a member... etc

He is from Nigeria, Oyo state. He has an older sister who is a return missionary. His whole family joined the church like 13 years ago. He is 26 right now. So he was like 13 or so when he joined the church.

4) Your apartment. Describe it.

Man, it was the sister’s apartment so it’s nice haha. Dude, we have tile floors... woah... like I walked around without shoes for the first time in my whole mission. It was pretty weird but the one really annoying thing is that the kitchen is in a different room. So you have to go outside and walk down small then unlock the door to a separate room if you want to cook anything... annoying... but whatever.

5) Your new area...busy city!!! How is it going.

It's so dusty here man. Like my shoes are just covered in orange dust every day... man... its really dusty. Feels like I'm in the middle of the desert. 

6) Ward? Branch? Tell us about the members

Yeah the building is a rented building. It’s like a house basically. But it's ok. Its green haha. Like a greenish blue. The people are way cool. Our ward mission leader seems to be really sweet. His name is Alex. He always calls us and says, 'brethren!'. He is cool haha. also they are planning a missionary work day activity. So that’s a total tender mercy. Miracle, man. Miracle.

7) Where are you emailing from? The church...?

No. A cafe close to our apartment. It’s nice cuz there are not a bunch of college boys looking at stuff they should not be. So it feels cleaner here haha.

8) How is your health, skin, etc...

Good. No problems, ha.