Monday, September 4, 2017

Week 48: To Homilies and Hymns

So I’ll write a few cool things from this week for you.

#1- We are teaching a pastor from a different church. His name is Daniel. He is so so awesome to teach cuz man, I can go talk deep with scriptures. The guy can read like a pro! So it’s super fun. Also he knows the Bible really well so it allows me to quote scripture left and right and he knows the quotations I'm saying. So it’s super fun.

#2 I am almost at the end of the book, Jesus the Christ. I been cranking on it the past few weeks. Reading like 10-15 pages a day. Haha. I don’t know where I get that time, mostly before bed. Anyways, I love that book. so I was reading about the apostasy and he was talking about the homilies. which to my understanding are the articles of faith for the church of England, which broke off because King Henry wanted to divorce his wife to marry his maid (lol apsotasy). But there is a homily that declares that the apostasy is real haha. That the truth was lost and the doctrines were changed long before the church was created. Haha so that was funny but then I remembered a lyric from Hamilton. In the song Wait For It, Burr sings this line "but there are things that the homilies and hymns wont teach ya." As I was reading Jesus the Christ that came to my head and was like no way.... So I looked on my lyric sheet (thanks to the fam for sending me the lyrics haha) and it is the line! Man, Hamilton is legit because indirectly Lin Manuel Miranda referred to the apostasy. Haha pretty cool.

#3 We taught this guy S. who was a referral form the Elders in Adeisu and he had come to church the week before. So we go out to teach him and we sit down and teach him lesson one. After finishing Joseph Smith he goes, "Ok I want to know more about the Book of Mormon (we hadn’t even taught him about that yet)" and so we did and he was like 'sweet'. So I then bear my testimony of the things we taught and the church and ask him how he could know if its true, to which he responds and tells us how he has been going to the church for the last 5 or 6 weeks and that he loves the church. And that he already knows that it is true. I was like woah. This is sweet. Man, he is so prepared. I love meeting those people, the ones who are so prepared that you want to say, "Will you be baptized right now?" Hahaha so yeah, but we invited him for the 23 of September and he gave a very strong "YES." to our invitation.

#4 There is a family in our ward form Ivory Coast so I get to continue my half hearted attempts to learn French! Ha I’m learning small small. But he wanted me to teach him some Spanish so I was like sweet! I can speak decent Spanish! But I go to start writing down words and only Twi comes to mind. Espanol asa (Spanish is finished). So shoutout to Eric because he speaks that language and because he shouted out to me so I'm shouting out to him. Is that proper terminology?

Arevoir mon amis (idk how to spell it, only know how to say it)

WTTM (Dad, youll get that)